Tuesday 16 December 2014

Me and Her - A Short Story

This post is a part of #WillYouShave activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette


She sounded very happy. I was happy too. As I put down the receiver I recollected all the lovely moments spent with her. "Aaaah.." She would scream whenever I gave her a peck on her cheek. "Why don't you shave every day?" She would then say rubbing her smooth cheek and running away from me. I would run behind her, catch her and stroke her soft hair. "OK Darling! I am going to shave today just for you." She loved watching the strokes while I shaved. She would then kiss me on my hairless face and hug me.

The doorbell broke my reminiscence of 20 years old. When I opened the door the milk man stood there with his usual smile. I looked at the clock. It was 6:00 am exactly. She would arrive at the airport only at 10 pm. But these few hours seemed longer than the years I spent without seeing her, of course barring the Skype sessions we had regularly. Even on Skype she would complain if she saw my unkempt face. She always liked to see me well groomed. I was aging, growing old. It didn't matter to her.

I somehow spent my day looking at the clock a hundred times. Clock was ticking slower. When I could not think of anything else I called a cab to take me to airport. I was at the airport couple of hours early. My restlessness grew each minute. My heart was pounding when I heard the announcement of the arrival of her flight. An elder gentleman was the first one to arrive. Behind him came a happy looking couple. People then started coming in groups. A few minutes later she appeared, her eyes searching for me. She increased her pace when she found me. She was now right in front of me. She kissed me and hugged me. "I missed you, Appa". She said softly controlling her sobs. Tears ran down my clean-shaven face.

The next day, among other gifts from her was the Gillette electric shaver. I cared for her and she cared for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment